April Workshop & May Critique Group
April 28, 2015: Unlocking Personification And Metaphor To Deepen Emotion
Time: 6 – 8 pm
Place: Room 123, lower level of Worship Center, Woodmen Valley Chapel, Building 250, 290 E. Woodmen Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80919
Workshop Description: Do you hear that your writing isn’t strong enough? Maybe you haven’t accessed your story’s emotional depth. Beyond strong dialogue and powerful body language, sharper tools await the intrepid fiction writer. Learn how to pull out all the stops and make inanimate (and sometimes animate) objects reflect your characters internal conflicts, desires, and fears. Make the reader feel deeply without them knowing why. Also, learn how to bring metaphor into your setting to drive your story deeper. Come prepared to cut through surface techniques and sculpt the heart of raw emotion.
Speaker: Brandy Vallance fell in love with the Victorian time period at a young age, loving the customs, manners, and especially the intricate rules of love. Since time travel is theoretically impossible, she lives in the nineteenth century vicariously through her novels. Unaccountable amounts of black tea have fueled this ambition. Brandy’s love of tea can only be paralleled by her love of Masterpiece Theater Classics, deep conversations, and a good book. Brandy is the 2013 Operation First Novel winner and the 2012 winner of the ACFW Genesis Contest for historical romance. Her critically acclaimed novel, The Covered Deep, has been featured in USA TODAY and Writer’s Digest. You can connect with Brandy via her website www.brandyvallance.com, Facebook, Goodreads, Pinterest, YouTube, or Twitter @BrandyVallance.
Springs Writers “Just Write” Critique Group
Mark your May calendars for The Springs Writers “Just Write” Saturday Critique Group:
- May 9, 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm at 5209 Del Paz Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
- May 23, 2:30 pm – 4:30 pm at 5209 Del Paz Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
“Just Write” Details
- During each session, there will be 10 minute teaching about how to critique and self-edit, hone your editing skills, etc.
- To reserve a guaranteed 20-30 minute critique, R.S.V.P. and email your manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 6 for May 9 and May 20 for May 23. The remaining critique time will be divided up for those who did not RSVP or email copies of their manuscript to Scoti. Bring 6 copies of your manuscript.
- If you don’t RSVP, show up and bring 6 copies of your manuscript for attendees to read and attendees will provide feedback.
- We will begin and end on time to respect everyone’s time.